The Standing-Stone at Yeavering
On the eastern lower slope of the sand and gravel mound upon which the prehistoric and early medieval remains at Yeavering are centred, sits a large standing-stone, raised in the Chalcolithic or early Bronze Age (circa 2400 2000 BC) as part of a ceremonial complex which included a large henge monument (ritual enclosure) on the crest to the west, and a stone circle with cemetery beyond that.
However the survival of this monolith in the landscape might owe as much to its later fame as marking the site of a skirmish that took place here on the 22nd July, 1415 during the Anglo-Scottish wars, in which a raiding force of reputedly some 4000 scots were defeated by of force of 300 bowmen and 150 spearmen led by Ralph Neville, Earl of Westmoreland, and Sir Robert Umfravill. In the early 1920's the Berwickshire Naturalist Society visited Yeavering and noted that the stone had fallen. They generously contributed towards its re-erection on the spot where it lay, although its precise position and orientation remains uncertain.
Yeavering Stone image on this page © Paul Frodsham